Looking for easy ways to bring dark chocolate to the table? Simple, yet delectable, these dishes will appeal to the chocoholic in you.
1. Chocolate and Flapjacks
These choc fixes are perfect for when you want a quick treat.
100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Juice and zest of one orange
100 ml golden syrup or honey
80 g brown sugar
120 g butter
Pinch of salt
Salt, to taste
200 g oats
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a 25 x 18 cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- In a small pan, gently melt the butter with the sugar and golden syrup or honey over low flame. Turn off the heat and cool for two minutes.
- Add the orange zest and juice to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the oats and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Add 75 g of the chopped chocolate.
- Pour the oats mixture into the prepared baking tin and press down the back of a spoon. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven.
- Cut into squares and remove from tin.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
2. Chocolate Ganache Dip
Sea salt flakes, to garnish
Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
1 ciabatta load, thinly sliced
250 g dark chocolate
250 ml double cream
- Toast the ciabatta slices on each side, taking care not to burn them.
- Heat the cream in a heavy-bottomed pan over a low flame until warm, not boiling.
- Take the pan off the flame, and add the dark chocolate, allowing it to melt into the cream. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Allow to cool and set.
- Divide the ganache into six shot glasses, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle a little sea salt. Serve with the toasted ciabatta dippers.
3. Chocolate Dipped Shortbread
75 g almond slivers, toasted
150 g dark chocolate
20 shortbread fingers
- Place the shortbread fingers in the fridge to chill; this helps to prevent unsightly crumbs when you’re dipping them into chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, cool it slightly.
- Dip the shortbread fingers halfway in the melted chocolate and arrange on baking parchment.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers over the chocolate.
- Allow to cool before serving.