Macaroons have taken over the world and for all the right reasons. Make a few, store them in a cute box and your beautiful yummy snack is all set to steal hearts!
Total time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
150 ml whipped cream
110 g caster sugar
2 tbsp water
90 g egg-whites
125 g ground almonds
125 g icing sugar
Piping bag with a ½ or 1 cm nozzle
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line a baking paper in a large tray.
- Put the ground almonds, icing sugar and half egg whites in a bowl and mix until a well-combined paste is obtained.
- Heat a small pan and add caster sugar and water to melt.
- Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a boil until it becomes thick and syrupy. (It’s advisable to use a thermometer and stop when it reads 115°C).
- In another bowl, whisk the remaining eggs. Pour in the syrup and continue mixing until a shiny and stiff mixture is formed.
- Add food color of your choice and add in the almond paste until it becomes shiny and stiff again.
- Spoon the mixture into the piping bag. Start making small swirls/flat circles on the baking tray to make the macaroons.
- Slam the tray 3-4 times against the counter to flatten the macaroons and make sure they do not have any air in them.
- Sprinkle desiccated sprinkle (optional).
- Let it sit for about half-an-hour or until skin is formed.
- Place the baking tray and in the oven with the door slightly open for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove the baking paper from the baking tray and let the macaroons cool on the baking paper.
- Once completely cool, sandwich macaroons together using whipped cream.