This recipe turns ready-made croissants into a decadent dessert, so go get ready to treat yourself…
Fried Apricot Croissants
Oil, to deep fry
6 tsp cornflour
6 cardamom pods, seeds crushed, pods reserved
Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 cup caster sugar (divided usage)
250-300 g dried apricots
Cream, to serve
- Place the cardamom powder, lemon juice, vanilla paste, ½ cup caster sugar and apricots in a saucepan over a high flame.
- Bring to a boil, breaking the apricots with a fork, then cook for five minutes until you get a jam-like consistency.
- Transfer one-third cup of this liquid to a bowl and add the cornflour, stirring to a smooth slurry.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the apricot mixture. Reduce the flame to medium-high and cook, stirring, until slightly reduced (about three minutes). Remove from the flame.
- Create a pocket in each croissant by cutting an opening in the outside edge.
- Spoon two tablespoons of the apricot mixture into each pocket.
- Thread wooden toothpicks through each opening to seal. Heat the oil in a saucepan, and fry the croissants for one or two minutes until dark golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Place the remaining caster sugar in a plate, and turn the hot croissants in the sugar to coat.
- Discard the toothpicks and serve the croissants with cream.