These cracker recipes will bring sweet and savoury treats to the table for your next celebration.
Crackers with caramel and chocolate — bring it on!
1 cup mixed nuts, chopped
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
40 salted crackers
- Preheat the oven to 400°C.
- Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper, and place the crackers side by side until the pan is completely lined.
- To make the caramel, melt the butter and sugar in a pan, bring to a boil, and let it cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame. Do not stir, but be careful that it does not burn. Pour the caramel evenly over the crackers. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the caramel crackers from the oven and pour the chocolate evenly over the caramel. Gently smoothing it out.
- Sprinkle the chopped mixed nuts.
- Refrigerate the baking pan for an hour.
- Once cool, remove the chocolate crack from the baking pan and cut into two inch-pieces.
Honey Goat Cheese on Khari Biscuits
A simple yet yummy appetiser.
25 pickled gherkin slices
25 Khari biscuits
2 tbsp honey
340 g goat cheese, softened
- Mix the goat cheese and honey in a small bowl.
- Spread the goat cheese-honey mixture over the Khari biscuits and top with a slice of pickled gherkin.
- Serve immediately to avoid the Khari biscuits getting soggy.
Pile it on
- Try layering peanut butter, banana slices and chocolate sauce for an energy boost.
- Place thin slices of sharp Cheddar and green (or any tart) apple on a cream cracker, and drizzle with honey.
- Alternatively, try blue cheese topped with an olive.
- Make an egg salad and pile a little heap on a cracker.
- Place half a deviled egg on a thin cracker to add a crunchy touch to the classic.
- Layer herbed cream cheese, a leaf of fresh basil sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced olives onto a cracker for Mediterranean flavours.
- Another combination is cream cheese, dill and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Missing your sweet fix? Put a blob of peanut butter on, and sprinkle with crushed caramelised walnuts.