The cold weather is a perfect excuse to indulge in these cheesy appetisers.
1. Blue Cheese Dip
½ cup crumbled blue cheese + extra if needed
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp minced onion
1 cup mayonnaise
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup hung yoghurt
Walnuts, to garnish
- Whisk together the pepper, salt, vinegar, lemon juice, onion, garlic, yoghurt and mayonnaise.
- Mix in the crumbled blue cheese. Check seasoning.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with walnuts.
2. Spicy Mexican Cheese Dip
⅓ cup milk + extra to thin out the dip if needed
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ cup jalapenos, finely chopped
225 g cheese
- Grate the cheese and place in a saucepan on a low-medium flame with the milk, garlic powder, and jalapenos.
- Once it has melted, add a little more milk if you find the dip too thick.
- Serve with nachos.
3. Baked Camembert
1 tsp olive oil
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 whole camembert, in its box
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Remove the cheese from its box, discard the plastic packaging. Place the cheese back in the box with the lid off.
- Use a sharp knife to pierce the top of the cheese in various places. Insert and sprigs of thyme and garlic pieces into the slits. Drizzle the olive oil with cheese. Place it on a baking sheet in the box.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the centre of the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve warm with toasted garlic bread slices.